This shrine was built in Kanazawa Castle in 1643 as a Toshogu Shrine enshrining Ieyasu Tokugawa, who unified Japan. In 1872, Amaterasu Omikami, the Sun Goddess, and Toshitsune Maeda, a feudal lord of Kaga Domain, were added as enshrined deities. The shrine was relocated to its present site in 1878. It is small but magnificently designed. Green copper roofing, vermilion-lacquered wood, and decorative metal combine to create a splendid harmony. Nationally designated as an Important Cultural Property.